[MITgcm-support] run speed unaffected by timestep, 'deltaT', in?

Dimitris Menemenlis dmenemenlis at gmail.com
Mon May 19 13:37:58 EDT 2014

What horizontal grid spacing are you using?

To give you some idea of a typical spin-up progression for deltat,
for the 1/12-deg global (llc1080) simulation, I integrated for:
- 1 day with deltat = 30 s,
- 9 days with deltat = 90 s,
- 10 days with deltat = 120 s,
- 25 days with deltat = 180 s,
- then starting on day 45 set deltat = 240 s.

The key diagnostic to look at in STDOUT is adcfl*.
If they consistently fall below 0.5, then you can increase deltat.

Regarding integration times, as Liam suggested, the overall time
may be dominated by parts of code that do not depend on deltat.
So go to end of STDOUT and find out where your code is spending time.