[MITgcm-support] Status of OpenAD conversion

Patrick Heimbach heimbach at MIT.EDU
Thu May 15 10:55:26 EDT 2014

Hi Chris,

the answer is, in part.
More specifically, a number of “verification” experiments for the adjoint are now available for both TAF and OpenAD. For a list of those, see, e.g.:
http://mitgcm.org/public/testing.html
in particular:
http://mitgcm.org/testing/results/2014_05/tr_baudelaire-a_20140515_5/summary.txt

For any (or all) of these experiments, you can simply run testreport (assuming you’ve properly installed OpenAD) via following command:

./testreport -oad -t global_ocean.90x40x15    (runs experiment global_ocean.90x40x15)
or
./testreport -oad                             (runs all experiments for which OpenAD reference output is available).

For reference, on the Testing webpage, under “Type” you’ll find:
"adjoint-taf": adjoint generated with TAF
"tanglin-taf": tangent linear generated with TAF
"adjoint-oad": adjoint generated with OpenAD

Certain features are not yet compatible with OpenAD (e.g., seaice package), mainly a lack of (wo)man-power to get this done. But others are already (e.g., shelfice or dic packages).

Divided adjoint is not available for OpenAD, unfortunately.
We’ll need to update the online documentation (in particular section 5.5) soon, likely by July 14th.

Cheers
-Patrick