[MITgcm-support] reducing the size of STDOUT files etc

Jonny Williams Jonny.Williams at bristol.ac.uk
Tue May 13 10:15:31 EDT 2014

Hi again

I think I've found the main culprit for what was giving me so much output.
In my run directory there is a file called eedata with the following
contents...

# Example "eedata" file
# Lines beginning "#" are comments
# nTx - No. threads per process in X
# nTy - No. threads per process in Y
 &EEPARMS
 nTx=1,
 nTy=1,
 *debugMode=.FALSE.,*
 &
# Note: Some systems use & as the
# namelist terminator. Other systems
# use a / character (as shown here).

Previously the debugMode was set to false. Changing this to false has
dramatically cut down the size of the output files.

I'd still like to be able to write to one STDOUT and one STDERR file if
possible though (see my previous email!).

Thanks again

Jonny

On 12 May 2014 15:32, Menemenlis, Dimitris (329D) <
Dimitris.Menemenlis at jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:

>  There is also a CPP_EEOPTIONS.h flag that can be used to write
> out a single STDOUT and STDERR file:
>
>  C--   Flag defined for eeboot_minimal.F, eeset_parms.F,
> C     and open_copy_data_file.F to write STDOUT, STDERR,
> C     and scratch files from process 0 only.
> #define SINGLE_DISK_IO
>
>   On May 12, 2014, at 4:58 AM, Jonny Williams <
> Jonny.Williams at bristol.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>  Hi there
>
>  I am trying to reduce the size of the output from my model because I am
> running on a very large number of processors and all the STDOUT* files (for
> example) are taking up too much space.
>
>  I've followed the instructions on this MITgcm support page...
>
>  http://mitgcm.org/pipermail/mitgcm-support/2009-April/006013.html
>
>  ... but I am still getting a STDOUT file for every processor (>1000)
> which is killing my disk space allowance! Is there something that I've
> missed? I thought that running with *useSingleCpuIO=.TRUE.* should mean
> that I only get 1 STDOUT file? I've attached my *data* file in case
> anyone has any ideas as to what is going wrong?!
>
>  Many thanks for your help.
>
>  Jonny

Dr Jonny Williams
School of Geographical Sciences