[MITgcm-support] how to control obcs balance flow

李志远 oceanlizy at 163.com
Thu May 1 13:31:50 EDT 2014

From: LIZHI<oceanlizy at 163.com>
To: mitgcm-support at mitgcm.org
Subject: Re: [MITgcm-support] how to control obcs balance flow ?Hi,Martin ,thank you for your kindness to help me solve my problems . but I still have some questions ,so I can not but to bother

you again .

    when I use precision="real*4" in data.obcs ,  the eta of model results is abnormally too high or too low after a long run , even I have balanced the inflow and outflow offline according to the way you told me before . Then I changed the data precision to double precision "real*8" , the new model is running , I did not check the output yet . Will this be of some help for the eta result ?  Because this eta result is crucial for my study ,I have to adjust it to a normal value .

I see the document at " http://mitgcm.org/public/r2_manual/latest/online_documents/node236.html ", I am not so clear about what do the value of -1,1,2,0,mean  below  :

OBCS_balanceFacE = 1.,

OBCS_balanceFacW = -1.,

OBCS_balanceFacN = 2.,

OBCS_balanceFacS = 0.,

   if such values are defined in data.obcs , the strong inflow at each open boundarys will be removed ? But in my model,the kuroshio current flow into south open boundary and flow out at east open boundary, and such a strong in flow has great influence on my model fields .so, I think in my case , remove such a inflow at boundarys will not be a good choice. So ,I am puzzled how to set such values to make sure the eta results are not so abnormal ,and the balance flow will not change the strong inflow at all boundarys .

Thank you ,sir !

Yours LI ZHI

Have a good vacation  !