[MITgcm-support] read_nctiles.m & llc90

Manfredi Manizza mmanizza at ucsd.edu
Fri Mar 21 15:42:19 EDT 2014

Gael,

I think the problem is here

Here is my file :

dic_tave.0000000000.t004.nc

here one of your files

SIuice.0001.nc

Your file has different format does not work for me...

The previous routine I used to use for tiles of nc files (rdmnc.m) reads
OK  but then there is problem of the
dimensions of the final array that puts together......

This below is not clear to me, why has to be different ? nc tiles are
generated only if you use mnc that then generates the "t00#"
automatically....

"The "nctiles" format generally (and its tiling specifically) differs
from the
"mnc" format. My guess is that your "004" figure refers to "mnc" output,
which
the gcmfaces framework does not support (it supports "mds" binary output
only)."

I guess the problem is in this line of code of your routine here below in  :

fileIn=sprintf('%s.%04d.nc',fileName,1);

Manfredi

On 03/21/2014 11:11 AM, gael forget wrote:
> Hi Manfredi,
>
>> It would be useful to see a template line of command that works in
>> order to fix mine.
>
> from http://ecco-group.org/ if you follow version_4 link under "in the
> news" you will
> find "getting_started.m" that is a working example for read_nctiles.m
> and llc90 files.
> (here I am guessing that "myread_nctiles.m" is a hacked up version of
> read_nctiles.m)
>

>> My tiling is also a bit unusual , it starts at 004.
>
> Just to avoid confusion : the tiling in "nctiles" netcdf files (such
> as those
> you will find via http://ecco-group.org/) are set by matlab (with
> which I do
> post-processing) not by MITgcm (direct output using "mnc").
>
> The "nctiles" format generally (and its tiling specifically) differs
> from the
> "mnc" format. My guess is that your "004" figure refers to "mnc"
> output, which
> the gcmfaces framework does not support (it supports "mds" binary
> output only).
>
> I hope that helps.
>
> Gael
>

>> This is an error I get although the file is there :
>>
>> Error using netcdf.open (line 45)
>> The specified file does not exist.
>>
>> Error in myread_nctiles (line 43)
>> nc=netcdf.open(fileIn,0);
>>
>> I also noticed that there could be a potential error but in the
>> command in the routine with the format of reading the file name
>> with the MATLAB command SPRINTF.....
>>

>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Manfredi

Dr. Manfredi Manizza
Geosciences Research Division
Scripps Institution of Oceanography
University of California San Diego
9500 Gilman Drive La Jolla, CA 92093-0244
email : mmanizza at ucsd.edu
tel   : +1-858-534-7094
web   : http://bluemoon.ucsd.edu/mmanizza/