[MITgcm-support] question about TIMER stats breakdown

Daniel Goldberg dngoldberg at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 18:22:10 EDT 2014

Hi All

Apologies if this is made clear in the documentation.

I am wondering about the system time/user time breakdown of the TIMER
stats. Might it vary from machine to machine what is considered "system
time" or is it pretty standard? My understanding is that system time refers
to time spent in kernel code rather than user code, but I'm wondering if
that's generalized e.g. to external libraries, such as PETSc, or if my long
system times are due to slow MPI exchanges (in the particular S/R I am
looking at there are no file reads or writes, save writing to STDOUT).

Thanks very much
Dan

--

Daniel Goldberg, PhD