[MITgcm-support] issue using mdsioLocalDir with control package

Matthew Mazloff mmazloff at ucsd.edu
Mon Mar 10 11:27:37 EDT 2014

Hi Dan

setting useSingleCpuIO = TRUE in data would likely fix this, but it will greatly effect your performance and likely in a negative way….so you can try it, but it may not be practical. (I dont know enough about your setup to judge)

What is happening is that the packing routines are not cleanly parallelized. myProcId 0 is suppose to read the global mask and this is the problem. Ideally every process would figure out its own packing and then write the packed ctrls and gradients -- then likely they would be concatenated at the end of ctrl_pack, but this hasn't happened yet  as the book keeping is cumbersome. Its doable if you want to embark on it :o)

There are several ways around this issue you are encountering, but I can't think of a very robust one. A quick one would be to fix the mdsiolocal directory part of the MDSREADFIELD_3D_GL -- basically just make a tmp_ mdsiolocal with a cropped last 4 digits and an added new 4. But I hesitate to do this as I don't know what other routines use MDSREADFIELD_3D_GL….I suspect this change could be damaging….would take some looking into it

What I do is pack/unpack separately using
#define  EXCLUDE_CTRL_PACK
which gives me time to link everything to one directory. An online system call could also do this…

If you let me know more about your setup I can help figure out what is best for you

Matt