[MITgcm-support] Variable biharmonic viscosity and energy conservation

Christopher L. P. Wolfe christopher.wolfe at stonybrook.edu
Fri Jun 27 12:10:43 EDT 2014

Hi Dimitris,

I should have been more clear. The biharmonic operator is supposed to dissipate energy, but the way it’s implemented in the MITgcm is not guaranteed to dissipate energy. Depending on the alignment of gradients of the biharmonic coefficient and gradients of the vorticity and divergence, the biharmonic operator can actually inject energy into the flow. While there might be physical reasons to inject energy at small scales, this sort of thing is best handled by a physically motivated parameterization where the energy injection can be controlled. Biharmonic viscosity is usually justified by numerical rather than physical considerations and having it inject energy into the flow seems a little dangerous.

Christopher