[MITgcm-support] Flt package -- T, S interpolation and pressure output

Ewa Katarzyna Karczewska ekk29 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Jun 26 07:03:36 EDT 2014

Hi all,

I'm using the flt package for 3-D advection of floats.

I am new to the package and to understand it better I wanted to compare
the flt output with the interpolation carried out in matlab.

More specifically, I'm trying to compare the salinity and temperature
flt output values (from float_trajectories.data files) for a particular
float, with the salinity and temperature values manually interpolated in
matlab using: interpn() function, 5-day averaged offline fields, float
location from flt output (longitude, latitude, depth) and x,y,z (grid).

I expected both interpolations (flt and matlab) to be the same, but they
are very different. I'm trying to understand why. Both methods use
trilinear Interpolation and have the same fields, lon, lat and depth as
an input.
Is there something I'm missing? Does the Flt package not simply extract
and interpolates the salinity and temperature values from a specific
5-day averaged T,S fields (specified by the timestep) once it has
float's location (lon, lat, depth)?

I'm advecting floats in a 4 year simulation which recycles one year of
the 5-day averaged offline fields (T,S,U,V,W) (73 files recycled 4 times).

The timestep for the offline fields is set to 5 days
(deltaToffline=432000.,) :

  &OFFLINE_PARM02
   offlineIter0=0,
   deltaToffline=432000.,
   offlineForcingPeriod=432000.,
   offlineForcingCycle=31104000.,
  &

The float_trajectory data files are outputted every 5 days

  &FLT_NML
  FLT_Iter0 =  0,
  flt_noise    = 0.0,
  flt_int_traj =  432000.,
  flt_int_prof = 432000.,
  flt_file     = 'flt_ini_pos.bin',

Also, is there a way of getting the pressure output in the flt
float_trajectories.data file?

At the moment, in the flt_traj.F the pressure is set to the surface
height anomaly (ETAN)
CALL FLT_BILINEAR2D(ix,jy,pp,etaN,     0,bi,bj,myThid)

and it gives output of '0'

I've tried using PHIHYD but it didn't work.

I will appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,
Ewa