[MITgcm-support] Layers package : nothing but zeros for output?

Ryan Abernathey ryan.abernathey at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 10:10:19 EDT 2014

Dan,
What version of the code are you using? The syntax for data.layers has
changed considerably in the past year or so. If you are using a newer
version of MITgcm, you will have to change some things. It is perfectly
reasonable to be confused by this, since there is zero documentation. We
are working on a new version of layers and accompanying documentation,
hopefully coming out in the next few months.
-Ryan

Here is an example of a "modern" data.layers that does averaging in theta
layers
-----
&LAYERS_PARM01
 layers_taveFreq=0.,
 layers_diagFreq=0.,
 layers_name(1) = 'TH',
 layers_bolus(1) = .TRUE.,
 layers_bounds(1:17,1)=
  -1.182, -1.109, -1.012, -0.882, -0.709,
  -0.478, -0.169,  0.241,  0.789,  1.52,
   2.494,  3.793,  5.526,  7.836, 10.917,
  15.025, 20.504,
&data.layers
---

This syntax allows you to have multiple simultaneous layer computations
running (e.g. theta and potential density). The number of possible layers
coordinates is set in LAYERS_SIZE.h by layers_maxNum
---
      PARAMETER( Nlayers = 16 )
      PARAMETER( FineGridFact = 10 )
      PARAMETER( FineGridMax = Nr * FineGridFact )
      PARAMETER( layers_maxNum = 1 )
----

Also, we now prefer to do the output via the diagnostics package. For
example
---
 &DIAGNOSTICS_LIST
  filename(1) = 'DiagLAYERS',
  frequency(1) = 31104000.,
  fields(1:3,1)= 'LaVH1TH ','LaHs1TH ','LaPs1TH ', '
 &
 &DIAG_STATIS_PARMS
 &
---