[MITgcm-support] Outputting too many files

Michael Schaferkotter michael.schaferkotter.ctr at nrlssc.navy.mil
Tue Jul 29 14:03:22 EDT 2014

Andres Fernandez <af1595 at nyu.edu> wrote:

> Dear MITgcm support,
>
> I am having an issue identifying why it is that when I run one of my
> experiments it outputs the data as follows:
>
> V.0010.001.001
> V.0010.001.002
> V.0010.001.003
> V.0010.002.001
>
> It appears as if it chops up the output into smaller pieces. I am unsure
> why? Also, are there any benefits in doing it this way? How can I
> deactivate this? My colleagues have outputs as "whole files" V.0010.data
> ... V.0020.data ... etc etc
>
> Thank you for your help,
>
> *Andres Fernandez*
> Mobile (USA): +1 646 717 2231
>
>  *Think before printing. The environment is in our hands

from the manual

globalFiles F write ”global” (=not per tile) files
useSingleCpuIO T only master MPI process does I/O

my understanding is that the globalFiles option is not necessarily robust across platforms.

the useSingleCpuIO  option creates a single output file per field, similar to the globalFiles option and faster.

so, check your globalFiles and useSingleCpuIO in the data namelist file.

michael