[MITgcm-support] low eta_min

Christoph Voelker christoph.voelker at awi.de
Sun Jul 27 17:25:48 EDT 2014

Hi Neil,

from your description and the parameters in the data file this like an
issue that I had before: in some instances, sea ice can accumulate near
the coast (often in small inlets)so high that (with the nonlinear free
surface enabled) you basically fill the uppermost model box with the
submerged part of the ice.
I had this when I forced my model with a very cold atmosphere (in a
glacial set-up), but also for present-day forcing. It happens when you
have local sea-ice formation, but the model is unable to transport it
away, e.g. when you have a very narow strait and have set no-slip
boundary conditions for ice. You can try setting seaice_no_slip =
.false., or the CPP flag SEAICE_CAP_ICELOAD.
And if all that does not help, try modifying your coast to get rid of a
few small inlets..

Cheers, Christoph