[MITgcm-support] pkg for spatially variable vertical diffusivity

Patrick Heimbach heimbach at MIT.EDU
Thu Jul 24 10:12:53 EDT 2014

Hi Madeline,

I suspect your question is more involved, but if, for a start, you just want to prescribe a spatially varying (time-mean) mixing field, all you need to do is:

1. compile model with
#define ALLOW_3D_DIFFKR
(in header file CPP_OPTIONS.h)

2. provide a 3-D mixing array: this file is read in ini_mixing.F
and its filename is set in runtime parameter file data:
in NAMELIST block PARM05 set
 diffKrFile=‘myfilename’,

An example is in
verification/cpl_atm2d+ocn/input_ocn/data

Of course, things will get more involved once you plan to compute vertical mixing with your own scheme.

Cheers
-Patrick