[MITgcm-support] Initial Conditions on Staggered Grid

Muhammad Arjumand Masood masood at g.harvard.edu
Wed Jul 23 04:29:42 EDT 2014

Hi,

I am having some trouble getting the gcm to the read in my U,V initial conditions when I specify them according to a staggered grid. To be specific, U is read in incorrectly, whereas V is read in as I intend.

The components of flow are staggered in space in the form of an Arakawa C grid. (http://mitgcm.org/sealion/online_documents/node45.html). When I specify the U,V initial conditions, in an un-staggered Arakawa A-grid from, the variables are read in basically correctly. Since the gcm is eventually outputting U,V in the Arakawa C grid form, shouldn’t I be able to specify exactly how I want the initial U,V to be read in?

Maybe this is an issue in the way I am writing my .bin file for the initial conditions because I don’t know exactly how the .bin files are read in by the gcm. I create the initial conditions in matlab and get:

>> size(u_sta)
   257   256    50

>> size(v_sta)
   256   257    50

I’ve checked what u_sta and v_sta look like in matlab, and they are both fine.

My command for creating the bin files is simply:

fid=fopen('MyU_sta.bin','w','b'); fwrite(fid,u_sta,'real*4'); fclose(fid);
fid=fopen('MyV_sta.bin','w','b'); fwrite(fid,v_sta,'real*4'); fclose(fid);

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Arjumand