[MITgcm-support] Model based on exp4 experiment - stability problems

MASSIMO NOVELLO (Yahoo) massimonovello at yahoo.com.br
Tue Jul 1 08:38:58 EDT 2014

Thanks Dustin, I will follow your recommendation and check the log results. I had increased the values just to speed up the process.

With the analytical values on CFL condition the result is much lower than 1.
U is always lower than 0,01m/s
dt = 1s
dx =10m
C=0,001

If I increase dx to 100m the model works fine.

Cheers,
Massimo

On 01/07/2014, at 09:24, Dustin Carroll <dcarroll at uoregon.edu> wrote:

> Hi Massimo,
>
> Since lowering your deltaT and increasing the horizontal grid spacing makes your model stable, I suspect you may be violating the CFL (see Courant-Friedrichs-Lewy) criterion for your model setup
>
> i.e you want C = (u*deltaT) / deltaX to be less than 1.
>
> I would recommend changing your monitorFreq to a much smaller value, say start with 60 s. This way you can look at STDOUT.0000 and pinpoint where your model blows up.
>
> Watch your horizontal and vertical advective CLF numbers (advcfl_uvel_max, advcfl_vvel_max, advcfl_wvel_max) and make sure that they are not steadily increasing above 0.5. You want them to stabilize as the model integration progresses.
>
> Cheers,
> Dustin Carroll
>

> On Jul 1, 2014, at 3:52 AM, MASSIMO NOVELLO (Yahoo) <massimonovello at yahoo.com.br> wrote:
>

>>> Please, I will really appreciate if someone can help on what is wrong related to the stability of this model. It is based on exp4 experiment, and I made some changes to reflect a small Lagoon in Rio de Janeiro. If I change delX and delY to 198*1.E2 the model works fine. Also if I only change deltat to 1.E-4, the model also works, but I need more than  5 days to model a 5 days experiment. I tried to apply all the analytics formulas for stability (3.24, 3.25, 3.26, 3.27 and 3.28) and did not found wrong values.
>>>
>>> I’m only looking at the flow when we have a constant wind of 2m/s
>>>
>>> Many thanks,
>>> Massimo
>>>
>>> # ====================
>>> # | Model parameters |
>>> # ====================
>>> #
>>> # Continuous equation parameters
>>> ################# ARQUIVO PTRACERS_SIZE.h POSSUI VALORES DEFAULT ##############
>>>
>>> &PARM01
>>> tempStepping=.FALSE.,
>>> tempAdvection=.FALSE.,
>>> tempForcing=.FALSE.
>>> saltStepping=.FALSE.
>>> saltAdvection=.FALSE.
>>> saltForcing=.FALSE.
>>> Tref = 20., 20., 20., 20., 20., 20.,
>>> sRef = 14., 14., 14., 14., 14., 14.,
>>> viscAr=1.E-4,
>>> viscAh=5.E2,
>>> viscA4=1.E6,
>>> no_slip_sides=.FALSE.,