[MITgcm-support] online calculation of energy flux

Robert Nazarian rn2 at Princeton.EDU
Fri Jan 31 17:33:17 EST 2014

Dear Peng, Ryan and Jody,

Thanks very much for your help!

Jody, I'll look into your online energy diagnostic this weekend.

Thanks again,
Rob

Robert Nazarian

Program in Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences

Princeton University

rn2 at princeton.edu<mailto:rn2 at princeton.edu>

________________________________
From: Jody Klymak [jklymak at uvic.ca]
Sent: Friday, January 31, 2014 3:57 PM
To: mitgcm-support at mitgcm.org
Subject: Re: [MITgcm-support] online calculation of energy flux

Hi Ryan,

On Jan 31, 2014, at  12:46 PM, Ryan Abernathey <ryan.abernathey at gmail.com<mailto:ryan.abernathey at gmail.com>> wrote:

Wow, great! I didn't know this existed. Thanks Jody.

Well, it only exists as an attempt.  Its not numerically robust, and it is really very tailored for internal wave baroclinic/barotropic problems.

I should have also said that for the calculation of APE it assumes that the derivative of N^2 is small, and that it assumes a constant background N^2 in time that density perturbations are working against.  This is good for internal waves for short process study runs.  Its unlikely to be good for long-term studies where N^2 should be allowed to evolve freely.  i.e. it doesn't close a APE/background PE  in any intelligent way.

Having background PE in the energy equations is a real nuisance.....

Cheers,   Jody