[MITgcm-support] online calculation of energy flux

Peng Zhan peng.zhan at kaust.edu.sa
Fri Jan 31 13:02:07 EST 2014

Hi Robert,
If I understand correctly for your case, I would suggest you use the
following formular:
mean(u'p')=mean(up)-mean(u)mean(p) instead of finding mean(u'p') directly.
Peng

On Fri, Jan 31, 2014 at 7:45 PM, Sonya Legg <sonya.legg at noaa.gov> wrote:

>  Hi Robert,
>
> You should state that it's the product u'p' that you want, and you want to
> do it online so that you can calculate time-averages. Otherwise you might
> get a response that u is already output, as is p, so why do you need to add
> anything?
>
> Sonya
>

> On 1/31/2014 11:39 AM, Robert Nazarian wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to add an online evaluation of u' and p' to the source code to
> calculate the energy flux. Is there a particular diagnostic that would be
> best to do this in? If not, is there a particular subroutine that's ideal
> to write such a diagnostic? Previously, I did these calculations offline
> but am hoping to incorporate it into the code itself.
>
>  Thanks,
> Rob
>
>   Robert Nazarian
>
> Program in Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences
>
> Princeton University
>
> rn2 at princeton.edu

Peng ZHAN

PhD Student
Earth Science & Engineering (ErSE)
King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST)
Bldg 1, Lv 4, 4700 KAUST, Thuwal 23955-6900, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Mobile: +966 544701621
Email: *peng.zhan at kaust.edu.sa <peng.zhan at kaust.edu.sa>*

--

this email.