[MITgcm-support] RBCS relax u velocities problem

Dustin Carroll dcarroll at uoregon.edu
Thu Jan 16 12:27:28 EST 2014

Hi Jean-Michel,

Thank you for your suggestions. The Um_Ext and Vm_Ext diagnostics are very helpful.

Looking at my Um_Ext data, the relaxUFile='rbcsU.bin', is being loaded. The initial Um_Ext velocity profile at the plume looks like the relaxUFile profile * ~10^-5.

However, it does not relax to the prescribed value over time. It doesn't stay constant, but varies almost unnoticeably (by ~10^-8)

For this model, I want to relax the u velocity in a grid cell from 0 to ~0.5 m/s over 86400s. Is setting rbcsIniter=0 and tauRelaxU=86400 the correct way to do this?

Thanks,
Dustin