[MITgcm-support] Local rotation of co-ordinates

Jonathan Whitefield jwhitefield at alaska.edu
Tue Jan 14 19:41:19 EST 2014

Hi everyone.

Probably a very simple question, but here goes anyway.

I'm trying to plot a Matlab m_quiver plot of surface velocity.
However, the u and v components of velocity from the model do not
correspond to the east and north direction. I don't want to just
rotate the co-ordinate frame, as the angle of rotation changes
(obviously!) along a line of latitude. Is there anywhere that outputs
the angle of rotation for each model grid cell?

Thanks!

--
Jonathan Whitefield, M.Sc.
Ph.D. Student, Physical Oceanography