[MITgcm-support] Inconsistent freshwater fluxes in/out of ocean+seaice

Katherine Quinn kquinn at aer.com
Thu Feb 6 15:47:46 EST 2014

Hi Martin,

I want to diagnose/calculate the total freshwater mass variations of the
ocean plus seaice (includes ice and snow), not volume variations.
You are correct that SIatmFW - oceFWflx will give the flux into the
seaice system (ice+snow), however that won't be the same at the mass
from HEFF since that only includes the ice, not the snow.

More details on my calculations:
oceFWflx, SIatmFW both have units of kg/m^2/s, so a cumulative time
integral will give the changes in the mass load (kg/m^2) and a spatial
sum will give the total mass (kg). sIceLoad is mass load of ice+snow and
has units of kg/m^2.
mass1 = sum_area{rA*maskInC*sIceLoad} +
         cumsum_time{sum_area{rA*maskInC*(-EmPmR)*deltaTclock}}
mass2 = cumsum_time{sum_area{rA*maskInC*SIatmFW*deltaTclock}}
Note: cumulative time integral includes all fluxes up to previous time step.

Actually, I have an idea where the mass inconsistency comes from.  In
seaice_growth.F, sIceLoad is calculated from HEFF and HSNOW. Then
*after* that EmPmR (which is -oceFWflx) and SIatmFW are adjusted if
balanceEmPmR=.true.  I'm going to test turning on/off balanceEmPmR and
see if my intuition is correct.

Any more ideas welcome.  thanks, Katy

Lexington, MA  02421-3126                     e-mail: kquinn at aer.com