[MITgcm-support] Negative concentrations in pTracer

Roland Young young at atm.ox.ac.uk
Tue Dec 23 05:55:47 EST 2014

 > I think it's probably just normal advection noise.  See, for example,
 > http://mitgcm.org/public/r2_manual/latest/online_documents/node72.html
 > http://mitgcm.org/public/r2_manual/latest/online_documents/node81.html

I think you're right, but I'm still having trouble with this (using
scheme 33) as I'm getting negative concentrations that are too large to
be removed by redistribution of the negative cells to nearby postive
cells. I was wondering whether the temperature advection scheme should
be the same as the tracer advection scheme? Currently temperature
advection is the default (scheme 2).

 > Typically advection schemes with flux limiters, as is 77, should
 > remove or minimize this type of overshoot, but maybe not perfectly
 > so.  You could try using 33 or 7, see if it helps get rid of
 > undershoot.

I've heard good things about scheme 7 but as I recall it requires
OLx=OLy=4, so will probably slow down my runs considerably as I'm using
tiles quite thin in latitude to make the zonal filter efficient (another
story...). Is 7 that much better than the other schemes that it's worth
trying in any case?

Are any of the other tracer options useful here? This is what I have
currently set

PTRACERS_SOM_Advection = /* tracer uses SOM advection scheme */
PTRACERS_ImplVertAdv = /* implicit vert. advection flag */
PTRACERS_MultiDimAdv = /* tracer uses Multi-Dim advection */
PTRACERS_AdamsBashGtr = /* apply AB on tracer tendency */
PTRACERS_AdamsBash_Tr = /* apply AB on passive tracer */
PTRACERS_diffKh = /* Laplacian Diffusivity */
                 0.000000000000000E+00
PTRACERS_diffK4 = /* Biharmonic Diffusivity */
                 0.000000000000000E+00
PTRACERS_diffKrNr = /* Vertical Diffusivity */
    33 @  0.000000000000000E+00              /* K =  1: 33 */
PTRACERS_useGMRedi = /* apply GM-Redi */
PTRACERS_useDWNSLP = /* apply DOWN-SLOPE Flow */
PTRACERS_useKPP = /* apply KPP scheme */

I tried a bit of horizontal diffusion of tracers (coefficient
corresponding to an advection courant number around 0.01) and this
improved it for a while by reducing the number of cells with negative
tracer concentrations, so may be an option if it can be made stronger
without smoothing the tracer fields too much.

Roland