[MITgcm-support] Different output shortly after restart

Jean-Michel Campin jmc at ocean.mit.edu
Fri Dec 12 11:44:00 EST 2014

Hi Roland,

In general, we do care about getting an exact restart, and
this is tested regularly (for forward run) on different platforms & compilers:
and reported on this page:
 http://mitgcm.org/public/testing.html
lines with "restart" in column "Type".

The reasons for not getting an exact restart could be:
1) using a combination of MITgcm options that are not currently
  tested in any of the verification experiment, and there is a problem
  with the code in this particular case.
2) the compiler optimisation option "changes the code" and the resulting
  executable does not always guarantee an exact restart;
  we have this problem with few experiments/compilers , for example here:
  http://mitgcm.org/testing/results/2014_12/rs_acesgrid-pgi_20141210_0/summary.txt
  where isomip does not restart perfectly with the compiler optimisation
  on, but does well with genmake2 -ieee option (no optimisation).
3) in your case, I would suspect first the netcdf pickup:
  for various reasons (code pourly maintained, slower, not tested, with few
  missing capability ... ), it is recommanded not to use NetCDF pickup files
  but instead plain binary pickup files.
 Note that in all the verification experiments that use pkg/mnc I/O,
 the netcdf pickup is always disabled:
> pickup_write_mnc=.FALSE.,
> pickup_read_mnc=.FALSE.,

Could you try again a short test without netcdf pickup option and
check the restart ?

Cheers,
Jean-Michel