[MITgcm-support] definition of PHIBOT in ECCO 4

Quinn, Katherine KQuinn at aer.com
Thu Aug 21 16:16:59 EDT 2014

To get ocean bottom pressure from PHIBOT (i.e. phiHydLow) you need to
make the Greatbatch correction to remove spurious mass variations.  This
bottom pressure includes freshwater flux.  In theory, if atmospheric
pressure forcing is used, PHIBOT will also contain atmospheric pressure
but it isn't in the latest ECCO release.  If you want to remove the
spurious mass variations and freshwater flux, just remove a spatial mean
at each time step from PHIBOT.  Note, a time invariant term of
depth*gravity (m^2/s^2 units) is missing from PHIBOT, add this back if
you want the total ocean mass.

If you want to see the details, look at how Mload (total OBP in kg/m^2)
is calculated in the latest updates of sbo_calc.F
(http://mitgcm.org/viewvc/MITgcm/MITgcm/pkg/sbo/sbo_calc.F).  Version
1.15 uses phiHydLow, version 1.16 uses rhoInSitu and the finite volume
method.

cheers, Katy