[MITgcm-support] Floating point errors

Jonathan Whitefield jwhitefield at alaska.edu
Tue Aug 5 15:24:31 EDT 2014

Hi all

I'm trying to do a run using the ECCO2 18km Arctic regional
configuration, and annoyingly, I get a Floating point exception (8)
error with 5 months left to go at the end of a 25 year run. When I
look at the STDERR.xxxx files, all of them are empty. The FPE errors
come in the job error file produced by the computer here in
Fairbanks...

I'm using constant (5m/s) u component and zero v component wind speeds
over a smaller subdomain (the Beaufort Sea), but everything else is
identical to a control run that finished successfully. I have pulled
various 2 and 3d fields from the last "good" day, and there seems to
be no anomalous values that I can see.

Does anyone have any idea a) what is causing this, and b) best ways to
fix it? I can provide copies of the error output and/or links to the 2
and 3d fields as well.

Thanks in advance!

--
Jonathan Whitefield, M.Sc.