[MITgcm-support] T, S budget in the surafce layer

Jean-Michel Campin jmc at ocean.mit.edu
Tue Apr 29 15:09:47 EDT 2014

Hi Ivana,

I don't remember if SOSE uses non-linear free-surface (with z* ?) or
if relies on the linear free-surface.

In the 1rst case, the conservation is exact (but you need to account
for time variation of grid-cell volume), and you can find some
information in the 2004 Ocean Modelling paper (Vol 6, pp 221-244).

In the 2nd case, the volume of each grid-cell is kept constant
(despite the free-surface) and the global tracer content (or tracer
integral) is not conserved.
You can still diagnose the local tracer budget (as suggested by Dimitris
and reported here) but, since the integral of WTHMASS(k=1) is not zero,
the global tracer content will change (even without forcing).

The purpose of setting linFSConserveTr=.TRUE.,
is to correct (globally) for the integral of WTHMASS(k=1).
This correction (TsurfCor, SsurfCor) is applied uniformly to the
surface level.

Cheers,
Jean-Michel