[MITgcm-support] how to control obcs balance flow ?

Matthew Mazloff mmazloff at ucsd.edu
Tue Apr 29 14:13:33 EDT 2014

Hello

Yes -- due to intrinsic periodicity and the fact that W is on the west side of the cell for OBCS you should use
hFacW(2,:,:) on the west wall and hFacS(:,2,:) on the south wall

You can use
 hFacW(end,:,:) on the east wall and hFacS(:,end,:) on the north wall.

This allows you to control inflow.

It is safer to make flat bathy in the normal direction for at least the two cells at the boundary. If you use obcs_sponge its better to have flat boundary in the normal direction over the whole sponge so as to not drive a bottom divergence. If you are sponging to a non-zero tangential velocity you should be careful and check how large your W is as the divergence of this velocity will not be balanced by a normal flow divergence.

It is fine to choose difference forcing periods for different input fields.

Matt