[MITgcm-support] Diagnostics Package

Kirk Bryan kbryan at Princeton.EDU
Sun Apr 27 16:26:32 EDT 2014

Dear Jean-Michel and Patrick:
                                             I edited the data.diagnostics and the DIAGNOSTICS_SIZE.h files as you suggested and it took care of the problem!  Many thanks!  I am impressed. You seem to be always on the job. Next time
I won't ask for help just at the start of a weekend.
                                                                                 Kirk
Kirk Bryan
Sayre Hall, AOS Program
Princeton University
Princeton, NJ 08544
tel  609-258-3688
fax 609-258-2850

From: Jean-Michel Campin [jmc at ocean.mit.edu]
Sent: Sunday, April 27, 2014 11:19 AM
To: mitgcm-support at mitgcm.org
Subject: Re: [MITgcm-support] Diagnostics Package

Hi Kirk,

two comments:
1) regarding "DIAGNOSTICS_SIZE.h", it is not necessary to double so
 many dimensions, but just to make sure that
   numdiags is not smaller than 12*Nr (to enable the use of 12 3-D diagnostics)
 and similarly diagSt_size if you want to use some stats-diags.
2) From the STDOUT report you sent, it seems that the issue is
 coming from reading the namelist "diagnostics_list" in "data.diagnostics":
you should get:
(PID.TID 0000.0001)  Fields:    UVEL     VVEL     Um_dPHdx Um_Advec Um_Diss  Um_Ext   Vm_Ext   Vm_dPHdy Vm_Advec Vm_Diss
(PID.TID 0000.0001)  Fields:    AB_gU    AB_gV

instead of:
(PID.TID 0001.0001) Fields: UVEL VVEL Um_dPHdx Um_Advec Um_Diss Um_Ext   Vm_Ext Vm_dPHdy Vm_Advec
(PID.TID 0001.0001) Fields: Vm_Diss AB_gU AB_gV

and from there, a blank diagnostic name is found which causes the model to stop:
*** ERROR *** DIAGNOSTICS_SET_POINTERS:   is not a Diagnostic

I would recommend to try Patrick's suggestion, and, in case it does not work,
to report back the error you get.

Cheers,
Jean-Michel