[MITgcm-support] Weird numerical noise leads to the model blowing up

Fancer Lancer fancer.lancer at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 07:40:05 EDT 2014

If anyone ever will face the same problem, it seems to me, that the reason
of it is the same as it was claimed in the topic discussed here a few
months ago: "Linear internal waves evolution under a free surface and a
rigid lid."
http://mitgcm.org/pipermail/mitgcm-support/2014-January/008764.html

That time Jean-Michel suggested to use the option cg2dUseMinResSol=1 in
order to force the model to utilize the minimum residual solution of 2d
problem. It helped for the most of my numerical runs. But it seems like the
model anyway didn't converged at some point of simulation (see the output):
 cg2d: Sum(rhs),rhsMax =   4.59031695927215E-03  9.54828652355926E-08
 cg3d: Sum(rhs),rhsMax =   4.85750298973343E-01  1.43154617420132E-14
 cg2d: Sum(rhs),rhsMax =   4.69887235641187E-03  9.54041157541186E-08
* cg3d: Sum(rhs),rhsMax =   5.76048634182131E-02  1.23467293119958E-13*
 cg2d: Sum(rhs),rhsMax =   4.56515285889347E-03  9.55727017601895E-08
 cg3d: Sum(rhs),rhsMax =   2.03099361693707E-01  3.40824611669796E-14

That led to the model blowing up afterwards.
As far as I understand the root cause of the problem lays in the problem
setup, in particular I specified the jumping density profile as it was
between two fluids with different densities, in addition I made extremely
high resolution on the transition layer between the fluids.
To sum up I suppose, that the only way to fix the sudden model blowing up
would be to change the initial condition setup.

If someone has any other suggestions welcome to the discussion.

Sincerely,
-Sergey