[MITgcm-support] okubo weiss parameter

Marco Reale reale.marco82 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 05:03:51 EDT 2014

Dear MITgcm users,

I’m currently running some simulations of Adriatic-Ionian System using the MITGCM model. The outputs of the simulations are employed to compute the okubo-weiss parameter at some levels.Using the diagnostics of the model I’m computing the okubo-weiss parameter in the following way: okubo_weiss parameter=tension^2+strain^2-Z3^2.

Among you is there anyone that already did this kind of computations? Is my way to compute it correct?

Furthermore I’d like to ask you why  strain is computed at vorticity cell while tension is computed at tracer cell.

Best regards

Marco

***********************************
Marco Reale
ph.D student "Environmental and Industrial Fluid Mechanics"-XXVII cycle
University of Trieste-Department of Mathematics and Informatics
National Institute of Geophysics and Oceanography (OGS)
International Center for Theorethical Physics (ICTP)
Italian Geophysical Association (AGI)
Italian Meteorological Society (SMI)
European Geophysical Union (EGU)
Società Italiana per le Scienze del Clima(SISC)
web-page: http://phdfluidmechanics.appspot.com/stud.html?Reale
skype: mcreal82
phone number: +39 3270888069