[MITgcm-support] regional zooming method

Matthew Mazloff mmazloff at ucsd.edu
Fri Sep 20 13:02:49 EDT 2013

Hello

I would like to zoom in on a region of my domain and am looking for some advice on how to best do this.

I have used telescoping where DX and DY are vectors but would prefer something better as this is not ideal far away from the region where, e.g., DX is still small but DY becomes large

So it seems my two choices are coming up with a mesh or nesting.

For the mesh case I assume the model cannot handle two cells becoming one on a cell wall…is this correct? Has anyone been successful in coming up with a mesh of quadrilaterals that zooms in on a region. I know the mesh can be derived, by successful I mean that the model output looks physical.

For nesting -- has anyone had success with 2-way nesting? Is nesting_sannino the place to start? Any pitfalls I should be aware of?

Thanks
Matt