[MITgcm-support] cubed grid cell volumes

Menemenlis, Dimitris (3248) Dimitris.Menemenlis at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Sep 4 12:54:27 EDT 2013

Hi Juan, I copy answer to mitgcm_support, since this may be helpful to others,
and also so that others can correct me if I am wrong - as I often am :-(

Regarding grid cell volume, you are pretty close, except that because we use z*,
ETAN (equivalent to ssh when there is no sea ice) is distributed across the full depth.
I think the correct tracer grid cell volume is: dV = RAC * DRF * hFacC * ( 1 + ETAN / Depth )
But note that UVELMASS and VVELMASS already include the "1+ETAN/Depth" factor.

Regarding web site, please try again and let me know if it works.
Sometimes it is down for repairs or other causes but right now I can access fine.
Same files are also available on regular http and ftp servers (as opposed to opendap).
http://ecco2.jpl.nasa.gov/data1/cube/cube92/lat_lon/quart_90S_90N/matlab/
ftp://ecco2.jpl.nasa.gov/data1/cube/cube92/lat_lon/quart_90S_90N/matlab/

Dimitris Menemenlis