[MITgcm-support] cal & ext without leap days?

Christopher L. P. Wolfe christopher.wolfe at stonybrook.edu
Tue Oct 8 12:07:24 EDT 2013

Hi all,

Is there a way to use EXF and CAL without leap days? I'm trying to run Gael's LLC model with COREv2 forcing, which jettisons leap days (not sure how or why …). In any case, all the CORE years are 365 days long. EXF & CAL seem to use leap days by default and I can't figure out how to change this.

For normal year forcing, I think I can just set repeatPeriod = 31536000.0 in data.exf and  calendarDumps=.FALSE. in data.cal. My understanding is that calendarDumps only affects the frequency of output, so the repeatPeriod is still really 31536000.0 seconds even if calendarDumps=.TRUE. Can someone confirm this? Otherwise, it seems like CORE's 365-day fields wouldn't have enough records for the leap years.

I'm not sure what to do for interannual forcing, though. I'm not sure, but I think setting repeatPeriod = 31536000.0 would just cause the first year to repeat rather than having the model use the true calendar years (albeit, sans leap days).

If anyone has any insight on this, I'd very much appreciate it.
Thanks,
Christopher

Christopher L. P. Wolfe
Assistant Professor
School of Marine and Atmospheric Sciences
Stony Brook University
christopher.wolfe at stonybrook.edu             516-632-3152