[MITgcm-support] What is the unit of PH and PNH in the output files?

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Thu Nov 21 02:44:40 EST 2013

May I add that according to "available_diagnostics.log" (a useful list that you get when you turn on the diagnostics package):
    XX |PHIHYD  | XX |       |SMR     MR|m^2/s^2         |Hydrostatic Pressure Pot.(p/rho) Anomaly

Here, "Anomaly" means that the constant contribution of gravity*abs(RC) is missing from PH and PHL (diagnostics names are PHIHYD and PHIBOT). That's another reason, why the values of PH may appear low. So to get the full pressure you need to do this:

P = (PHIHYD + gravity*abs(RC))*rho_const

although the second contribution is dynamically not relevant.

Martin