[MITgcm-support] question about Cartesian Grid in Matlab

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Mon Mar 4 06:11:11 EST 2013

Yang,
I am not sure if this is the problem, but matlab and the MITgcm (FORTRAN) have different ideas about the order of the dimensions. When I plot Eta, I do this:
xc = rdmds('XC');
yc = rdmds('YC');
Eta = rdmds('Eta',Inf);
contour(xc',yc',Eta')
Note that you need to transpose all fields, because matlab thinks that the first index is the row index, while MITgcm uses it as the column index.

for velocities, keep in mind that they are not collocated, so if you want to be precise you'll have to average them to C-points (where Eta is defined) before plotting them, e.g.:
u = rdmds('U',Inf);
v = rdmds('V',Inf);
w = rdmds('W',Inf);
uc = 0.5* ( u + u([2:end 1],:) );
vc = 0.5* ( v + v([2:end 1],:) );
contour(xc',yc',w')
hold on
quiver(xc,yc,uc,vc)
hold off

Note that quiver does not care about the regular arrangement on a grid and plots (uc(:),vc(:)) at the position (xc(:),yc(:)), so that a quiver plot will always have the correct orientation, but w is a "scalar" in this context and needs to be transposed.

M.