[MITgcm-support] Qnet and Qsw heat fluxes after ceckpointc54

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Tue Jun 18 08:29:14 EDT 2013

Hi Qentin,

the model variable Qnet is really the net heat flux. If you have a closer look at the code that you copied from external_forcing_surf.F, you'll realize that Qsw is actually subtracted (and not added) from Qnet (because Qsw can penetrate water, it will be added later and distributed over more than just the surface layer).

If you want shortwave heat to penetrate into the ocean, you need to specify a qswfile, independtly of using the surfQnetFile or the obsolete surfQfile.

Martin