[MITgcm-support] GM: Skew flux vs Advective form

Lars Czeschel lars.czeschel at zmaw.de
Wed Jun 12 06:50:08 EDT 2013

Hi Ryan,
it seems it is not a problem of the layer diagnostic.
I calculated the eddy-MOC from the bolus velocities in z-levels
for the 'tutorial_global_oce_latlon' for year 10 with similar results.

I attached some figures showing the global eddy MOC for both cases and the differences.
The last two figures show the eddy MOC in the deepest level to give an impression of the
divergence when using the skew flux formulation.

I also attached the matlab code in case I am missing something in my calculation.

Thanks, Lars

%Eddy MOC from skew flux formulation
clear all
% load data
DXG = rdmds('DXG');
hFacS = rdmds('hFacS');
YG = rdmds('YG');
DRF = rdmds('DRF');
DRF = squeeze(DRF);
KWY = rdmds('GM_Kwy-T.0000172800');

% compute mer. bolus velocity
KWY(:,:,16)=0.0;
for i=1:90
for j=1:40
for k=1:15
Vb(i,j,k)=KWY(i,j,k+1)*0.5-KWY(i,j,k)*0.5;
end
end
end
DX=repmat(DXG,[1,1,15]);
ddz=repmat(DRF,[1, 40, 90]);
ddz=permute(ddz,[3 2 1]);
n=find(hFacS > 0);
Vb(n)=Vb(n)./(ddz(n).*hFacS(n));

% integrate MOC
Xint=sum(Vb.*DX.*hFacS);
Xint=squeeze(Xint);
dz=repmat(DRF,[1,40]);
dz=permute(dz,[2 1]);
MOC=cumsum(Xint.*dz./1e6, 2);

%Plotting
[hcl cl]=contourf(YG(1,:),cumsum(DRF),MOC',[-30:5:-10 -10:2:10 10:5:30 ]);
set(gca,'YDIR','reverse')
clabel(hcl,cl)
caxis([-30,30])
colorbar
title('Skew Flux MOC [Sv]');

----

%Eddy MOC from advective formulation
clear all
DXG = rdmds('DXG');
hFacS = rdmds('hFacS');
YG = rdmds('YG');
DRF = rdmds('DRF');
DRF = squeeze(DRF);
PSIY = rdmds('GM_PsiYtave.0000172800');

% compute mer. bolus velocity
PSIY(:,:,16)=0.0;
for i=1:90
for j=1:40
for k=1:15
Vb(i,j,k)=PSIY(i,j,k+1)-PSIY(i,j,k);
end
end
end
DX=repmat(DXG,[1,1,15]);
ddz=repmat(DRF,[1, 40, 90]);
ddz=permute(ddz,[3 2 1]);
n=find(hFacS > 0);
Vb(n)=Vb(n)./(ddz(n).*hFacS(n));

% compute eddy MOC
Xint=sum(Vb.*DX.*hFacS);
Xint=squeeze(Xint);
dz=repmat(DRF,[1,40]);
dz=permute(dz,[2 1]);
MOC=cumsum(Xint.*dz./1e6, 2);

%Plotting
[hcl cl]=contourf(YG(1,:),cumsum(DRF),MOC',[-30:5:-10 -10:2:10 10:5:30 ]);
set(gca,'YDIR','reverse')
clabel(hcl,cl)
caxis([-30,30])
colorbar