[MITgcm-support] Convtave file

Jean-Michel Campin jmc at ocean.mit.edu
Wed Jul 24 10:06:16 EDT 2013

Hi Ping,

On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 04:56:01PM -0400, Ping Zhai wrote:
> Hi MITgcmers,
> I have questions about the output file: Convtave**.data. The value
> in this file  ranges from 0 to 1. Does anyone know the meaning of
> these values? Is it the measurement of static instability?  0 means
> no instability, and 1 means strong instability and convection? If I
You are right about Convtave**.data file.
When time-averaged it can take intermediate value between 0 & 1.

> want to use the offline and ptracers packages, and set
> "implicitDiffusion=.TRUE.,  implicitViscosity=.TRUE.,
> ivdc_kappa=100.," in data, does that mean the vertical diffusivity
> is 100 when Convtave is nonzero?
In offline, the value in Convtave file is multiplied by ivdc_kappa
and added to the background vertical diffusion. But no effect on
vertical viscosity (like ivdc_kappa in a usual on-line run).

Cheers,
Jean-Michel