[MITgcm-support] model resolution

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Wed Jul 3 05:58:01 EDT 2013

Hi Neil,

as I wrote yesterday, I recommend using viscAhGrid instead of viscAh, you might even want to consider using the Leith viscosity scheme (see <http://mitgcm.org/public/r2_manual/latest/online_documents/node85.html>, especially the subsections).

Are you familiar with asynchronos time stepping/tracer acceleration? if not, I suggest that you read about it (e.g. Bryan 1972, Danabasoglu 2004).

Ideally you just use one time step (parameter deltaT) in data, but for spin-up, it is "allowed" to have longer time steps for tracers (trial and error, I am afraid, but the larger the ratio of deltaTtracer/deltaTmom, the more physical distortions you'll get). Often, the first couple of days require a shorter time for momentum, because of fast initial adjustment processes and later slightly longer steps can be used.

Martin