[MITgcm-support] model crashing & time step issues

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Tue Jul 2 12:11:08 EDT 2013

Neil,

the secret is probably the CFL-criterion (Courant-Friedrich-Levy) that puts a requirement on your time step (and you already found out by yourself):
u*dt/dx < 1 (or 1/2), see the tutorials for more details or any text book on numerics.
For pedagogical reasons (it's instructive to do that), I suggest that you set your monitorFreq = 1. and then have a look at the monitor variables advcfl_u/v/w_max, etc. They should increase exponentially for your 2deg simulation. You need to reduce your time step until that does not happen anymore. I once used this for a 2deg configuration.
 deltaTmom = 1200.0,
 deltaTtracer   = 43200.0,
 deltaTClock    = 43200.0,
 deltaTfreesurf = 43200.0,

Also there are constraint on the viscosity parameter (also some sort of CFL, again see the tutorials). I recommend to replace viscAh by an appropriate viscAhGrid (e.g. 0.1) to avoid the problem of adjusting the viscosity.

Surface temperature might not be a good diagnostic. The crash can also happen in the deep ocean somewhere.

Martin