[MITgcm-support] Surface waves relaxation without viscosity terms

fancer lancer fancer.lancer at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 14:54:18 EST 2013

Martin, Jean-Michel,

Thank you very much for the helping me with such specific issues.

Concerning the 1st question.
I corrected my setup of the model to use the Crank-Nicholson scheme.
I have now:
implicSurfPress=0.5,
implicDiv2Dflow=0.5,
By default, implicitNHPress = implicSurfPress.
So I hope it help. I shall write about the results of the simulation here.

Concerning the 2nd question.
Martin, you are absolutely right. Since the environment in the
experiments is a bit different, they have the different dispersion
relations:
1st experiment: w^2 = k*g*tanh(k*h)
2nd experiment: (w - k*U) = k*g*tanh(k*h)
As you can see if frequency (w) is the same in the both experiments,
the wave-number (k) is different (if the 1st exp. does have the
non-zero background flow (U)). It doesn't matter what sign of the
wave-number is specified in the first experiment, because the graphic
is symmetric relatively OY axis. I setup the following parameters for
the wave-maker:
1st experiment: frequency  w=2*PI*1.5, wave-number k=2*PI*1.515
2nd experiment: frequency  w=2*PI*1.5, wave-number k=2*PI*3.271

In the first experiment it gives appropriate surface sinusoidal wave,
but in the second case we have the high-frequency patters on the
background of the vertical velocity. In addition the space Fourier
specter of the surface wave doesn't fit the initial wave-number at all
for the second experiment. I setup k/(2*PI)=3.271 1/m, but the Fourier
analysis gives k/(2*PI) = 1.9 1/m. Any suggestion what else can be
wrong?

Best regards,
Sergey V. Semin
Post graduate course student
Department of Mathematics,
Nizhny Novgorod State Technical University n.a. R.E.Alekseeva
http://www.nntu.ru/
117-24 ulitsa Minina, Nizhny Novgorod, 603950, Russia
e-mail: fancer.lancer at gmail.com