[MITgcm-support] Surface waves relaxation without viscosity terms

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Wed Jan 23 05:19:00 EST 2013

Sergey,

for your first question, you might want to consider turning off the implicit free surface, which will have a damping effect, and use an explicit Crank-Nicholson scheme instead. Unfortunately, here: <http://mitgcm.org/public/r2_manual/latest/online_documents/node41.html>
it says, that this is not yet possible with non-hydrostatic code, so you'd have to try to implement that.
Without any dissipation, the code will blow up sooner or later

question 2: I cannot look at all the details, but from comparing obcs_calc.F in both setups I see that your "wn" is twice as large as (and has a differen sign) in your second case.

Martin