[MITgcm-support] Orlanski OBCS problem

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Fri Jan 4 02:56:04 EST 2013

Hi Pat,

your email implies that you use OBCS with Orlanksi boundary conditions. With open boundaries (especially with the "dynamic" Orlanski radiation conditions), it is usually very tricky to make the model conserve volume, i.e. have a zero net flow across the open boundary conditions, and that very quickly leads to unrealistic sea level change. We have the option to "balance" the flow. Please have a look at the documentation:
<http://mitgcm.org/public/r2_manual/latest/online_documents/node236.html#SECTION00731560000000000000>

Martin