[MITgcm-support] Help with compiling

Jonathan Whitefield jonathan.whitefield at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 20:25:38 EST 2013

I am a first time user, and attempting to compile the model on the
supercomputer here at the University of Alaska, Fairbanks. However, I
get a syntax error when it tries to run the byteswap section. One of
our computer guys have looked at it, and
cannot see a problem. I wondered whether you would have any idea what
could be causing this. The error occurs at line 258 in
mds_byteswapi4.f, when it tries to declare arr and i32. Other errors
along the same lines appear in mds_byteswapr8.f (line 258; i64 and i1
not declared), and mds_byteswapr4.f (line 258; truncating hex or oct
data to fit data type; i32 and arr not declared). Below is an excerpt
of the log I made of the build so you could view the errors at the
end.

Hope this makes sense, and that you can help! I'm not that hot on
Fortran, so I apologise if it's something obvious!

------

PGFTN-S-0034-Syntax error at or near ( (mds_byteswapi4.f: 258)
PGFTN-S-0038-Symbol, i32, has not been explicitly declared
(mds_byteswapi4.f: 263)
PGFTN-S-0038-Symbol, arr, has not been explicitly declared
(mds_byteswapi4.f: 268)
PGFTN-W-0093-Type conversion of expression performed (mds_byteswapi4.f: 268)
PGFTN-S-0072-Assignment operation illegal to external procedure arr
(mds_byteswapi4.f: 268)
  0 inform,   1 warnings,   4 severes, 0 fatal for mds_byteswapi4
PGFTN/x86-64 Linux 12.5-0: compilation completed with severe errors
make: *** [mds_byteswapi4.o] Error 2
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
PGFTN-S-0034-Syntax error at or near ( (mds_byteswapr8.f: 258)
PGFTN-S-0038-Symbol, i64, has not been explicitly declared
(mds_byteswapr8.f: 263)
PGFTN-S-0038-Symbol, i1, has not been explicitly declared
(mds_byteswapr8.f: 263)
PGFTN-W-0015-Hexadecimal or octal constant truncated to fit data type
(mds_byteswapr8.f: 263)
PGFTN-S-0034-Syntax error at or near ( (mds_byteswapr4.f: 258)
PGFTN-W-0015-Hexadecimal or octal constant truncated to fit data type
(mds_byteswapr8.f: 263)
PGFTN-W-0015-Hexadecimal or octal constant truncated to fit data type
(mds_byteswapr8.f: 263)
PGFTN-S-0038-Symbol, i32, has not been explicitly declared
(mds_byteswapr4.f: 263)
PGFTN-W-0015-Hexadecimal or octal constant truncated to fit data type
(mds_byteswapr8.f: 263)
PGFTN-S-0038-Symbol, arr, has not been explicitly declared
(mds_byteswapr8.f: 272)
PGFTN-S-0038-Symbol, arr, has not been explicitly declared
(mds_byteswapr4.f: 268)
PGFTN-W-0093-Type conversion of expression performed (mds_byteswapr8.f: 272)
PGFTN-S-0072-Assignment operation illegal to external procedure arr
(mds_byteswapr8.f: 272)
PGFTN-W-0093-Type conversion of expression performed (mds_byteswapr4.f: 268)
PGFTN-S-0072-Assignment operation illegal to external procedure arr
(mds_byteswapr4.f: 268)
  0 inform,   5 warnings,   5 severes, 0 fatal for mds_byteswapr8
PGFTN/x86-64 Linux 12.5-0: compilation completed with severe errors
  0 inform,   1 warnings,   4 severes, 0 fatal for mds_byteswapr4
PGFTN/x86-64 Linux 12.5-0: compilation completed with severe errors