[MITgcm-support] build options for Stampede

Matthew Mazloff mmazloff at ucsd.edu
Wed Feb 6 11:54:59 EST 2013

Hi Angela,

Thanks - but unfortunately stampede is different from these two machines. The good news is it is far faster -- almost 4 times faster. The bad news is that it doesn't seam to like the I/O statements in the mdsio package.

I find it randomly trips up writing (usually with MDS_WRITE_FIELD) when the file already exists.

The error I get is usually a simple

"forrtl: severe (121): Cannot access current working directory for unit 9, file "Unknown"

Though sometimes it tells me that a file that definitely exists does not exist. Or it says this file cannot be written to.

For example, the adjoint needs some average files and it writes out some "bar" fields. Yesterday it crashed writing a "bar" file after running fine for about 2 years…

I also find that its processors do not like to share -- I have had to give each processor its own tiled forcing file because otherwise it randomly crashes…

However, there have been a few runs that complete just fine….

TACC consulting do not have any suggestions. I am hoping  that with the proper compile flags I can make the run more robust.

Any suggestions appreciated!
Matt