[MITgcm-support] Wind stress without interpolation

massimo novello massimonovello at yahoo.com.br
Sat Feb 2 22:21:13 EST 2013

Please, is it possible to use a periodic wind force without interpolate the values? I need that the wind change suddently according to the files (wind_x.bin and wind_y.bin).

I started the simulation using the exp4 sample with some changes on its configuration (bathymetry, coast line, wind stress, open boundaries,...).

Many thanks,
Massimo Novello
UERJ - Rio de Janeiro

From MITgcm manual:
"There is also the possibility of prescribing time-dependent periodic forcing. To do this, concatenate the successive time records into a single file (for each stress component) ordered in a (x,y,t) fashion and set the following variables: periodicExternalForcing to ’.TRUE.’, externForcingPeriod to the period (in s) of which the forcing varies (typically 1 month), and externForcingCycle to the repeat time (in s) of the forcing (typically 1 year – note: externForcingCycle must be a multiple of externForcingPeriod). With these variables set up, the model will INTERPOLATE the forcing linearly at each iteration."