[MITgcm-support] problem with KPPghat term being too large

Dimitris Menemenlis menemenlis at jpl.nasa.gov
Sun Dec 29 17:11:38 EST 2013

Dear MITgcm-ers, has anyone ever experienced problems with the KPPghat
term being too large?

Specifically in kpp_routines, there is following line:
       ghat(i,ki) = (1.-stable(i)) * cg / max(phepsi,tempVar)

In tracking down cause of a crash in a hi-res (llc2160) simulation, I
found that the value of phepsi=1e-10 can lead to some very large
non-local transport values.

If someone has experience with this issue and suggestion how to fix,
please let me know.  In meantime, I will experiment with larger values
for phepsi.

Thank you,

--
Dimitris Menemenlis