[MITgcm-support] MITgcm-support Digest, Vol 126, Issue 13

David Munday Munday at atm.ox.ac.uk
Thu Dec 5 05:23:04 EST 2013

Hi Marco,

Um_HydroP isn't in my available_diagnostics, I can't find it anywhere in the documentation, and grepping the code turns up nothing. Is it the same as Um_dPHdx?

In general, I'd expect Um_Advec and Um_dPHdx to be similar in magnitude and of opposite sign, due to the dominance of geostrophic balance. Assuming Um_HydroP is Um_dPHdx by another name, then its magnitude is about right, but its sign is wrong (or Um_Advec's is). Taking the difference and adding Um_Diss gives me -4.3197E-9, so you're still missing a term.

Have you output every single Um_* diagnostic available, including the ones you think are zero, the implicit/explicit viscosity, and the gradient in SSH?

Best wishes,

Dave