[MITgcm-support] Netcdf overlays

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Wed Aug 14 04:45:10 EDT 2013

Hi Chris,

this a problem of ncview, or rather of the MITgcm/mnc-pkg not following the conventions that ncview expects. The "netcdf coordinate variables" X and Y are sometimes just the grid indices (I would have expected that the nc-attribute "description" would actually describe what's in the coordinate variable, but apparently for global_ocean.90x40x15, this attribute is not correct). Ncview interprets them as coordinate variables in degrees. I don't know why this happens in the particular case (try figuring out the call tree within the diagnostics and/or netcdf package and you'll see, why it's difficult to say anything about that), but you can try to tweak ncview into not using the overlays by default. There should be a "resource" that can be specified in the Ncview configuration file(s).

Martin