[MITgcm-support] difference between PH and PHL

Jean-Michel Campin jmc at ocean.mit.edu
Mon Aug 5 19:27:18 EDT 2013

Hi Jody,

I will try to clarify:
1) for atmospheric setup (buoyancyRelation='ATMOSPHERIC', fluidIsAir=T),
 you are right, phiRef contains the geopotential height computed from
 tRef (sRef dependence is ignored, assuming dry air).
2) with oceanic set up in z type coordinate (z or z*, but not pressure)
 the reference state is homogenous rhoConst, and phiRef is
 just -gravity*rC or rF, so that Nicolas was right in this case.
  P(i,j,k)/rhoConst = -g*rC(k) + PH(i,j,k) + PNH(i,j,k)
 or:
  P(i,j,k)/rhoConst = PHrefC(k) + PH(i,j,k) + PNH(i,j,k)
3) with oceanic set up in pressure coordinate, it would be more logical
 to use tRef,sRef (similar to atmosphere in pressure coords)
 but instead we continue to use rhoConst to define the reference state.
see in model/src/set_ref_state.F, lines 255-272.

And the way the hydrostatic pressure anomaly is computed is consistent with
the definition of PhiRef (i.e., uses tRef only if atmosphere in p,
otherwise based on rhoConst).

I hope I did not make too much confusion.

Cheers,
Jean-Michel