[MITgcm-support] difference between PH and PHL

Nicolas Grisouard nicolas.grisouard at stanford.edu
Mon Aug 5 16:24:35 EDT 2013

Hi Robert,

I'm going to quote Jean-Michel, who answered this question when I asked it a couple of years ago (Jan. 7 2012 to be specific):

"From those output files, the pressure P can be obtained as:
P(i,j,k)/rhoConst = -g*rC(k) + PH(i,j,k) + PNH(i,j,k)

And PHL would be the equivalent of PH (hydrostatic pressure potential anomaly)
but at the bottom, so that the hydrostatic pressure at the bottom Pb
would be: Pb(i,j)/rhoConst = g*Depth(i,j) + PHL(i,j)

Cheers,
Jean-Michel"

It's pretty useful, because you don't have to interpolate the hydrostatic pressure on the topography.

Cheers,
Nico.

On 05/08/13 06:12, Robert Nazarian wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using the MITgcm internal wave code and analyzing the pressure
> perturbations. I noticed in the output directory that there are PH and
> PHL files, which are both hydrostatic pressure files. Can someone
> elaborate on the difference between the two?
>
> Thanks so much,
> Rob
>
> Robert Nazarian
>
> Department of Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences
>
> Princeton University
>
> rn2 at princeton.edu <mailto:rn2 at princeton.edu>

Nicolas Grisouard - Postdoctoral Scholar
Stanford School of Earth Sciences
473 via Ortega - room M11
Stanford, CA 94305-4216
Dept. fax: (+1) 650-498-5099